Published Mon, 11/14/2016 - 21:20
- We reverse engineer three popular live streaming platforms (YY, Sina Show, and 9158) and find keyword lists used to censor chat messages.
- Tracking changes to the keyword lists over the past year gives an inside look into how these applications implement censorship
- Censorship is reactive often in response to current events.
- The keyword lists between companies are not identical suggesting that there is no centralized list provided to them by authorities.
- Censored keywords include references to collective action and government criticism serving as a counterpoint to recent studies.
- Censored keywords include names of competitors, which appears to be motivated by business interests rather than government pressures.
Read the Report