The Global Muslim Response to the Uyghur Crisis
Agreement of cooperation for a global Muslim coalition for Uyghurs
January 30, 2022
We the undersigned organizations commit to working together to stop the ongoing genocide against Uyghurs and other Turkic Muslims in East Turkistan.
We note that an independent tribunal of international law experts determined on 9 December 2021 that Uyghurs face genocide and crimes against humanity committed by the Chinese government.
We agree to cooperate to support the human rights of Uyghur Muslims and other Turkic Muslims of East Turkistan, based on Islamic values of peace and justice, as well as universal human rights principles.
We pledge solidarity and mutual support, and express the will to coordinate joint initiatives and call upon Muslims everywhere to do the same.
We will work to create effective solutions to provide refuge and protection for Uyghur refugees at risk.
Based on a strong sense of urgency regarding the atrocities against Uyghurs and other Turkic individuals and families, which are also atrocities against Islam, we urge religious, civil society, and political leaders to take a stand and strong action.
We therefore thank the nations which have already recognized that Uyghurs are facing genocide. We urge other nations to do the same and take steps to stop this genocide.
We further urge the United Nations to appoint a special rapporteur on the Uyghur genocide.
Consequently, governments, the Organisation of Turkic States, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, the United Nations, and other international bodies must hold the Chinese government accountable, including in front of the International Court of Justice.
Agreed 30 January 2022 by civil society organizations from Germany, Indonesia, Malaysia, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Muslim Youth Movement of Malaysia (ABIM) – Malaysia
- Global Peace Mission – Malaysia
- Islamic Information Services Foundation – Malaysia
- Malaysia4Uyghur – Malaysia
- Allied Coordinating Committee of Islamic NGOs (ACCIN) – Malaysia
- Pamong Asthabrata Foundation (PAMASTHA) – Indonesia
- Malaysian Consultative Council of Islamic Organizations (MAPIM) – Malaysia
- World Uyghur Congress Foundation – Turkey
- Stand4Uyghurs – UK
- Islam21c – UK
- IndonesiaSaveUyghur – Indonesia
- East Turkistan Muslim Scholars Association – Turkey
- World Uyghur Congress
- International Union of East Turkistan Organizations –Turkey
- US Council of Muslim Organizations – US
- Women’s Alliance for Family Institution and Quality Education (WAFIQ) – Malaysia
- Free Uyghur Now – USA
- Justice For All – USA
- PRIMA – Indonesia
- Uyghur Academy Foundation – Turkey
- Bait Al Amanah – Malaysia
- Uyghur Human Rights Project
- Ili Meshrep Foundation