China’s Persecution of Uyghur Imams: New Evidence of Imprisonment and Detention
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
12:00–1:30 p.m. EDT
Join the Uyghur Human Rights Project and Justice For All for a discussion of our most recent report, Islam Dispossessed: China’s Persecution of Uyghur Imams and Religious Figures. The report exposes the mass detention of Uyghur and other Turkic Muslim imams in East Turkistan, as well as attempts by the Chinese government to cut off the transmission of religious knowledge across generations.
Panelists will speak about current persecution, how we got to where we are today, and what a global response should look like given the new findings.
The report was also featured by the BBC.
– Omer Kanat, Executive Director, Uyghur Human Rights Project
– Imam Abdul Malik Mujahid, CEO, Justice For All
– Peter Irwin, Islam Dispossessed author, Uyghur Human Rights Project
– Abduweli Ayup, Uyghur language activist, linguist, and writer
– Joanne Smith Finley, Reader in Chinese Studies, Newcastle University
Moderated by Nicole Morgret, Uyghur Human Rights Project